
A minibus full of hospital patients met a truck head-on before dawn on a Brazilian highway, and 23 people never made it to their appointments.
Story Snapshot
- A minibus and a truck collided head-on around 3:30 a.m. on Brazil’s BR-373 highway in Paraná state.
- At least 23 people died, including two children, and five others were hurt.
- The minibus was carrying patients and companions to medical appointments in the Curitiba area.
- Police say early evidence points to the empty truck crossing into the minibus’s lane.
A Routine Hospital Trip Turns Deadly
The minibus belonged to the health department in Imbituva, a small city in central Paraná. It was doing what it does most days: carrying sick residents and their family members to hospitals near Curitiba.
Instead, the vehicle collided head-on with a semi-truck traveling the opposite direction on BR-373. Both vehicles were destroyed in the impact, and the crash site left wreckage and personal belongings scattered across the roadway.
At least 23 people have been killed in a head-on collision between a bus carrying medical patients and a lorry in southern Brazil.
The crash happened around 3:30 a.m. on the BR-373 highway in Paraná state after the truck reportedly veered into the bus’s lane. pic.twitter.com/axP14CWTjF
— APT News (@APT__News) August 19, 2026
Brazil’s Federal Highway Police said the death toll reached at least 23, with five more people injured. Among the dead were two children. One wire account broke the numbers down further, describing 13 women, eight men, and two children killed in the wreck.
The truck driver also died, meaning the person most directly involved in the collision cannot offer his own account of what happened in the final seconds before impact.
What Investigators Believe Happened
Traffic police said preliminary evidence indicates the truck crossed into the minibus’s lane. The truck was not hauling any cargo at the time, according to that reporting.
Investigators were still examining the scene for signs of mechanical failure, driver fatigue, or a possible medical emergency behind the wheel, according to separate wire coverage of the crash. That work determines whether the crossing was a split-second swerve or something that had been building for miles beforehand.
Television footage from the scene, aired by Brazilian broadcaster TV Globo, showed the truck resting on grass beside the highway and the minibus crushed beyond recognition.
Glass and passengers’ belongings were strewn along the road, providing the public with a visual record of the crash’s severity even before official findings were finalized.
A Highway With a Long, Hard History
This was not an isolated tragedy on an unfamiliar road. Paraná’s federal highways carry heavy truck traffic alongside commuters and rural residents, and the state logged thousands of crashes and hundreds of deaths in a single recent year, according to highway-safety data.
Researchers studying Paraná’s roads have identified repeat danger zones, stretches where speed, night driving, and mixed truck-and-car traffic combine again and again with fatal results.
Brazil has seen this kind of mass-casualty minibus crash before. A collision between a tourist minibus and a truck in Bahia state left 25 dead and six injured in a similar head-on pattern.
These crashes share a common thread: two-lane highways, overnight travel, and vehicles carrying groups of vulnerable passengers, whether tourists or patients headed to medical care.
Grief and Response in Paraná
Paraná’s governor declared three days of mourning following the crash, a gesture that reflects how deeply the tragedy has touched the region.
Imbituva is a small community, and losing patients, caregivers, and a driver in a single overnight accident represents a significant blow to families who depend on that health department shuttle to reach specialists in Curitiba.
The response also underscores a real policy question for Paraná and, more broadly, for Brazil. When a public health shuttle carrying society’s most vulnerable riders becomes the victim of an alleged lane-crossing by an empty commercial truck.
This incident raises fair questions about oversight of overnight trucking, driver rest requirements, and highway design on corridors known for their dangers. Families deserve answers grounded in the completed investigation, not speculation.
For now, the confirmed facts stand on their own: a minibus carrying patients, a truck with no cargo, a head-on collision before sunrise, and 23 lives lost on a stretch of highway that has seen far too much tragedy already.
Investigators continue to examine the wreckage, the vehicles, and the roadway itself to determine exactly how the truck crossed into oncoming traffic.
Sources:
apnews.com, yahoo.com, upi.com














