Pentagon Money Blaze Stuns Congress

American flag with money bullets and weapons on top
PENTAGON MONEY SHOCKER

The Pentagon burned through $11.3 billion in the first six days of the Iran war, and now it wants Congress to write a check that would make the Iraq and Afghanistan wars look like a bargain.

Story Snapshot

  • Pentagon officials told senators in a closed-door briefing that the Iran war cost at least $11.3 billion in its first six days.
  • The Pentagon sent a request to the White House for more than $200 billion in supplemental war funding — about 20% of its entire annual budget.
  • The White House formally sent Congress an $87.6 billion supplemental spending request on June 24, 2026, including $21 billion for the Defense Department.
  • Republicans have not yet figured out how to get the 60 Senate votes needed to pass even the scaled-back request.

The War Bill Arrives Faster Than Anyone Expected

The Iran war started on February 28, 2026. Within three weeks, the Pentagon had already sent a request to the White House for more than $200 billion in extra funding. Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth put it plainly at a press conference: “It takes money to kill bad guys.”

He added that the Pentagon would go back to Congress “to ensure that we’re properly funded.” That is not spin. That is a straightforward admission that the military’s existing budget cannot cover this war.

The $11.3 billion spent in just six days works out to roughly $1.9 billion per day. That pace would burn through $200 billion in about three and a half months. Hegseth himself said the number “could move,” which means the final bill could be higher.

Gas prices have already climbed to just under $4 per gallon nationally as a direct result of the conflict, and experts say relief will be slow to come. Everyday Americans are already paying a tax they did not vote for at the pump.

The White House Scales Back the Ask — But It Is Still Enormous

When the formal request hit Congress on June 24, 2026, the number had dropped from $200 billion to $87.6 billion. Office of Management and Budget Director Russell Vought sent the letter to House Speaker Mike Johnson.

The request included $21 billion specifically for the Defense Department, covering munitions and rebuilding the weapons-making industrial base. The administration also wants funding to boost the U.S. defense manufacturing sector so it can keep up with wartime demand.

Even at $87.6 billion, this is a massive ask. For context, the Department of Homeland Security’s entire annual budget is less than $70 billion. The Pentagon is asking for more than that in a single emergency request, less than four months into a conflict.

Taxpayers for Common Sense president Steve Ellis noted that $200 billion — the original figure — equals 20% of the Pentagon’s annual budget and “likely more than the direct cost of the war so far.” That last part deserves attention. If the request exceeds actual war costs, what is the extra money for?

The Munitions Problem Is Real, and It Was Coming Before Iran

The Pentagon’s munitions stockpiles were already under strain before the war in Iran began. Years of supplying Ukraine and maintaining readiness in the Pacific had drawn down key weapons inventories.

The Iran conflict accelerated that problem fast. The new budget request includes a 150% increase in munitions procurement accounts compared to pre-war spending levels.

That kind of jump suggests the military is not just replacing what it used — it is trying to rebuild a stockpile that was already thin. That is a legitimate national security concern, and Congress should take it seriously.

The problem is that the supplemental budget process — the emergency funding route the Pentagon is using — does not require the same level of detail as a normal budget request. That means Congress gets a big number without a full breakdown of how every dollar will be spent. Critics from both parties have flagged this.

When you skip the paperwork on a $200 billion request, you are not just cutting red tape. You are cutting accountability. Republicans who believe in fiscal discipline should demand the same level of documentation they would require from any other agency spending taxpayer money on this scale.

Congress Is Stuck, and the Clock Is Running

Senate Republicans passed an Iran War Powers Resolution urging either withdrawal or formal congressional approval of the conflict. The White House dismissed it as symbolic. That tells you something important: the administration wants the money but is not eager to invite deeper congressional scrutiny of the war itself.

Meanwhile, Senate Appropriations Chair Susan Collins and Senator Lisa Murkowski both said they had not even seen the formal request as of the morning after it was reportedly sent. That is not a small procedural hiccup. That is a breakdown in basic communication between the executive branch and the lawmakers who control the purse.

Republicans have not yet mapped out a path to the 60 votes in the Senate needed to pass a supplemental. Democrats have called the request “beyond the pale” and opposed the war from the start.

That means the party in power needs near-total unity plus some Democrat crossover — and right now, neither exists. The Pentagon needs the money. The troops deserve the resources. But Congress needs the details before it writes a check this large. That is not obstruction. That is the job.

Sources:

youtube.com, abcnews.com, nationaldefensemagazine.org, armscontrolcenter.org, taxpayer.net