Chicago’s experiment with “freedom by ankle monitor” has reached the point where nearly 250 accused criminals have simply vanished from the system, and officials admit they do not know where many of them are.
Story Snapshot
- Cook County data reportedly shows 246 of 3,048 monitored defendants missing and no longer wearing their devices.
- Officials concede they “have no idea” where some are, even as warrants stack up and alerts backlog.
- High-profile violent cases tied to people on monitors raise hard questions about public safety trade-offs.
- The deeper problem is a pretrial system trying to do two opposite things at once: cut jail populations and guarantee safety.
How Chicago Misplaced Hundreds Of Accused Criminals
Cook County’s electronic monitoring program was sold as a compromise: let people await trial at home, track them with an ankle device, and keep everyone safer than simple release would. Yet county clerk data now shows 246 of 3,048 monitored defendants missing and not actively wearing their ankle monitors, roughly 1 in 12 people in the program.[1][2] Local television reporting cites officials acknowledging that they do not know where many of these defendants are, only that warrants exist with names on them.[2][3]
These are not just accused shoplifters skipping curfew. Reporting based on Cook County figures says hundreds of people on electronic monitoring face serious charges, including murder, attempted murder, sexual assault, and aggravated battery.[1][2]
In one highlighted case, Alphanso Talley, previously released pretrial with a monitor, stands accused of murdering Chicago Police Department Officer John Bartholomew.[2][3] Whether or not those charged are ultimately convicted, the stakes of losing track of them are obvious to any resident walking to their car after dark.
The 48-Hour Loophole And A Warrant Pileup
The ankle monitor itself is not magic; it is a gadget tied to a bureaucracy. Reporting describes a system in which low battery or curfew violations are supposed to trigger alerts, with judges able to issue arrest warrants if violations persist for 48 hours.[3] In practice, media accounts quote insiders saying there are “thousands of warrants” in the queue and people “get lost in the pile,” which means a dead monitor on Friday night may not translate into a knock on the door until long after the person has decided to disappear.[3]
Law enforcement leaders publicly insist they are searching. Cook County Chief Judge Charles Beach has said that missing defendants are “actively being searched for” and emphasized that unaccounted for does not automatically mean “out committing crimes.”[2] That statement is technically accurate and also beside the point. A community that hears “we do not know where they are” will reasonably conclude that the basic promise of electronic monitoring—if you cut off the bracelet, we will find you fast—is not being kept consistently.
The Human Cost Behind The Statistics
Media coverage has focused on a handful of horrifying cases to illustrate the danger. One widely cited example involves Lawrence Reid, described as a career criminal with dozens of prior arrests, who allegedly violated monitoring terms and later set a stranger on fire.[3]
Another case mentioned in coverage involves a 26-year-old on monitoring who reportedly failed to charge his device before events that left a mother of three pistol-whipped and a police officer dead, with another critically injured.[3] These are allegations, not final verdicts, but they shape how ordinary people judge the policy.
Nearly 1 in 12 defendants on ankle monitors in Chicago have gone missing, according to Cook County data. That's 246 people — released pretrial and accused of violent crimes — who slipped their monitors and vanished.
Among those still in the program: 21 charged with murder, 103… pic.twitter.com/vjeOq9OFRK
— Fox News US (@FoxUSNews) May 14, 2026
Critics of the “one in 12 missing” framing fairly point out that the underlying data does not prove that all 246 missing defendants committed new crimes.[1][2][3] Some will be quietly picked up on warrants, some may have administrative status changes, and some may never harm anyone. That argument, however, clashes with a basic intuition: when government plays games with risk, it owes citizens hard numbers, not hopeful generalities. On that score, Cook County has not delivered.
A System Built To Reduce Jail Crowding, Not Guarantee Control
Electronic monitoring in Cook County was originally created to relieve overcrowding in the county jail, not to serve as an ironclad crime-prevention shield. Over time, pretrial monitoring expanded dramatically, with thousands of defendants supervised across dual programs run by the sheriff and adult probation, a setup an official county report later labeled “inefficient” and “confusing.”
Research reviewed by local reform groups suggests electronic monitoring does not significantly improve court-appearance rates and costs more than standard supervision.[4]
That research fuels a very different narrative from the one on cable news. Civil liberties advocates argue that monitoring is overused on low-level and nonviolent cases, that many people remain on the device for months or more, and that strict movement limits harm families and jobs.[3] Their critique is not imaginary; bureaucracies like to expand their tools.
Yet the current scandal exposes the worst of both worlds: a heavy, intrusive system for many low-risk defendants, combined with lax control and slow enforcement for a smaller group who actually pose the greatest danger.
What Common Sense Reform Would Look Like
Chicago’s problem is less about technology and more about priorities. A common sense approach would do three things. First, narrow electronic monitoring to those charged with clearly defined violent offenses, instead of casting a wide net over low-level defendants who could be safely managed by reminders and check-ins.[3] Second, require real-time alert triage and hard deadlines so that a dead monitor triggers prompt, documented action, not a paper warrant that vanishes into backlog.[3]
Third, force transparency. County leaders should release anonymized, defendant-level data showing how many people on monitoring go missing, how long they are gone, how many are rearrested, and for what. Right now the public sees only a headline figure—246 missing—and lurid cases cherry-picked from court files.[1][2][3] That invites both panic and complacency. An honest audit would either confirm a serious systemic failure or prove that the “vanished” group is smaller and more quickly recovered than critics assume.
Why This Story Matters Beyond Chicago
Every city wrestling with bail reform and pretrial supervision faces the same fork in the road. One path treats electronic monitoring as a politically convenient fig leaf: tell voters they are being protected, slap ankle devices on thousands of people, and hope most do not cause embarrassment. The other path treats liberty and safety as serious goods in tension, using electronic monitoring sparingly, enforcing its violations swiftly, and admitting when the system falls short. Chicago’s one-in-twelve problem shows which path it has been on.
Sources:
[1] Web – Nearly 1 in 12 defendants on ankle monitors in Chicago have gone …
[2] Web – Nearly 1 in 12 defendants on ankle monitors in Chicago are missing
[3] YouTube – US city LOSES HUNDREDS of suspects on ankle monitors
[4] Web – Nearly 1 in 12 defendants on ankle monitors in Chicago have gone …














